Monday, June 11, 2012

Backyard Country Girl's Frozen Key Lime Pie


BACKYARD COUNTRY GIRL'S FROZEN KEY LIME PIE
I have to confess to ya right up front. This was an Accident! While I was watching the Barefoot Contessa make a Frozen Key Lime Pie.  I thought, I Can Do That! So I got started. The recipe calls for 6 egg yokes. Well, I seperated 6 eggs and went to beating up the whites into a massive bowl of stiffness. I was so proud~ And I set them aside. Then I mixed up all the dry ingredients, added the wet ingredients, and poured the mixture into the gram cracker crust and stuck it in the freezer. Then I notice on the counter, the bowl of the beautifully whipped egg whites, and the seperated egg yokes.  Oh My! Now what to do. At this point it occurred to me that I was using raw eggs and I paniced and looked up Key Lime Pie online. While I was waiting for the recipe to upload (I live in the middle of no-where, yes, it's still takes forever, even with an air-card) anyway, I went ahead and grabbed the pie out of the freezer, poured the mixture back into a bowl and added the egg whites.
Ah ha...  now the recipe is uploaded. No Egg Whites are used, It's the Yokes!!!
So I dumped the Yokes in too, Made a second Crust. Then I BAKED the Pies, then to the Freezer!
Best Frozen Key Lime Pie Ever!
O just in case you are yelling at me right now,
yes, I now know that you do not have to cook pasteurized eggs.

 Make the Crust First
3 Cups gram cracker crumbs
1/2 Cup sugar (splenda)
6 tablespoons melted butter (smart choice)
Mix together with your hands and Press into two 9" pie pans
Bake 350o F. Ten minutes

 Prepare Filling
Bring 6 whole eggs Separated to room temperature

In another bowl
1/4 Cup sugar (splenda)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
MIX on low
Add 2 tablespoons of Lime Zest
3/4 Cup Lime Juice
Add yokes to mixture

Whip the Whites
THEN Add them to the Mixture
Pour into Pie Pans

BAKE filled pies 325o F. 15 minutes
 Remove from oven, cool to touch and put in Freezer
Freeze till Frozen
 Topping
1 Cup heavy whipping cream - whip
Add 1/4 Cup sugar (splenda)
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

 Spoon or Pipe topping to pies
Add sliced limes and a little lime zest
to decorate! Put back in Freezer till Frozen Completely!

Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment